Just a few days ago, I was conducting a sales seminar in Lafayette, LA. The conversation naturally began to lead its way into the topic of rejection. One salesperson asked me, "How do you deal with rejection?" I sort of laughed. We are all human - rejection hurts. However, as is consistent with most difficulties in life; it is all about perspective.
My perspective on rejection is: No = Not Yet. Objection is NOT rejection. Objection is a request for more information...
Here are some tips on dealing with rejection:
1. If you are going meet with a prospect, remember that you already have a "no" in your pocket. The worst you can do is your current situation.
2. Never take it personally; but, ALWAYS take personal responsibility for the rejection. It is up to you to help them see the value you believe in.
3. A little rejection goes a long way. Turn their reasons for rejecting you into a reason to BUY.
4. Remember - professional buyers are testing you as much as they are testing your product / service.
5. Rejection is natural. Michael Jordan, Abe Lincoln and Gandhi were all REJECTS (in some way). You are in great company ;)
6. No one can reject you if they stand to gain MORE than they have to loose. Bring them to this realization and you get the business.
Reece Theriot, MBA
“We were put on this Earth to love; by loving, we serve others; by serving others, we create value; by creating value, we form successful ventures; by forming successful ventures we contribute to the advancement of Creation which pleases the Creator.”